Exhibition: "The manuscript code of Ivan the Terrible"


svod_thumb.jpgThe donation of extremely valuable facsimile editions of Russian manuscripts of the XVI century by the Russian charity foundation "Society Of Admirers Of Old Written Language" was the occasion the to open the exhibition "The manuscript code of Ivan the Terrible". 

svod_plakat_1.jpgOn March 28, 2012 the donation was officially presented by Anna Angelova, PhD, in the presence of the rector of Sofia University Prof. Ivan Ilchev, representatives of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Bulgaria and the Russian Cultural and Information Center, the academic community, students and media. Prof. Aksinia Djurova and the chairman of the charity foundation Mr. German Sterligov delivered speeches on the importance of the exhibited 10 volumes of "The Manuscript Code of Ivan the Terrible" (Textbook of Life for the Children of the Tsar) and the Elisavetgrad Gospel.
 
svod_snimka_2.jpgMasterpiece of medieval Russian literary culture "The manuscript code of Ivan the Terrible" is a literary monument of world importance. It was created in the late sixteenth century, probably in the period 1568-1576, by order of Tsar Ivan IV the Terrible in a single copy for the purpose of education of his children. It consists of nearly 10,000 manuscript pages and over 17,500 multi-colored miniatures, i.e. the images occupy two-thirds of its contents. This impressive in scale and range edition presents events from the biblical, Jewish and Ancient Greek history, the Trojan War and Alexander the Great, the history of the Roman and Byzantine Empires and the history of Russia from 1114 to 1567. The Russian history is examined in close relation to the world history, and events from the history of the Balkan peoples (Bulgarians, Greeks, and Serbs) are also narrated. During the reign of Ivan the Terrible the manuscript was kept in Kremlin, and after that its pages were owned by different people. Later on they were united and bound in 10 volumes, which until the nineteenth century have been part of various collections, including those of the Emperor Peter the Great, Patriarch Nikon, the princes Golitsini and others. Today, the original of the manuscript is kept in three places - in the State Historical Museum (Moscow), and in the library of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Russian National Library (St. Petersburg).
 
svod_snimka_4.jpgThe Elisavetgrad Gospel is one of the most important Russian illustrated manuscripts. Initially, the gospel was considered to have been written in the early seventeenth century in the literary school of the Metropolitan Anastasius of Moldova Crimca. Currently, due to the linguistic and paleographic analysis of the Bulgarian researcher Maria Spasova, the time of its writing is considered to be some point in the very end of XV and the beginning of XVI century. The gospel is a copy of the famous "The Tetraevangelia of Ivan Alexander" (or the Four Gospels of Ivan Alexander), written in Bulgaria by order of Tsar Ivan Alexander in 1356. The Elisavetgrad Gospel was discovered in 1880 in Elesavetgrad, Kherson province, from where it brings its name. Its first scientific description was done by the eminent Russian historian and art critic N. V. Pokrovsky. Then the Gospel was returned back in Elisavetgrad and in the 1920ies it got lost. The manuscript was rediscovered only in 1963 by M. Shtepkina in the holdings of the Russian State Library. According to the library register, it has been donated by an individual in 1940.
 




Университетска библиотека "Св. Климент Охридски" 2014