Art. 1. (1) These Regulations regulate the structure, activity and organization of the work of the University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski” at the Sofia University.
(2) In its activity the Sofia University Library is governed by the Internal regulations and acts of the Sofia University, by the present Regulations and by the normative documents regulating the library and information activities in the country.
Art. 2. The University Library is a service unit (under the Higher Education Act), which provides the educational and scientific activities of the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski “.
Art. 3. Sofia University Library is a service unit performing library and information, educational and research functions. It is part of the national library system.
II. BASIC TASKS
Art. 4. Sofia University Library:
(1) provides library and scientific-information services to the professors, students, PhD students, specialists and employees of Sofia University as well as to external users.
(2) In carrying out this task Sofia University Library:
1. carries out the scientific acquisition of a multi-subject collection in accordance with the scientific strategy and educational policy of the Sofia University;
2. preserves the Bulgarian literary production as a depository library from 1925;
(3) conducts scientific and applied research in the field of librarianship, bibliology, bibliography and scientific information and prepares the editions of the Sofia University Library;
(4) maintains an integrated library and information system;
(5) creates bibliographic and information databases;
(6) forms and develops digital collections;
(7) performs book exchange with publications of the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski” with Bulgarian and foreign universities, libraries, research institutes and academic organizations;
(8) participates in the interlibrary loan system;
(9) organizes courses for information competences for the needs of different categories of users (students, Ph.D. students, postgraduates, professors, etc.);
(10) serves as a learning base for students in the specialty of Library and information sciences;
(11) coordinates its activities with other libraries, library networks and information centers;
(12) provides expert and advisory support to libraries and other institutions;
(13) cooperates in the work of international organizations working in the field of library and information sciences;
(14) is involved in the development and implementation of national and international projects;
(15) organizes and conducts scientific, informational, cultural and educational events.
Art. 5. The management of the University Library is carried out on the basis of the Regulations for the Structure and Operation of the Sofia University “St. Kliment Ohridski”, these Rules and other internal and external acts.
Art. 6. The governing bodies of the Sofia University Library are:
(1) Library Council (LC).
Art. 7. (1) The Library Council is a governing body that coordinates the work of the University Library with the research, educational and other activities of the Sofia University;
(2) The members of the LC are elected by the Academic Council (AC) at the proposal of the Deans of the respective faculties and the Director of the Library for a period of four years;
(3). The LC consists of the Director of the University Library and 6 habilitated professors.
(4) The Library Council:
1. examines currently issues related to the implementation of the main tasks of the University Library;
2. examines the budget, annual plans and reports of the University Library and, if necessary, make proposals to the Rector’s Office;
3. discusses the research and publishing activities of the University Library.
(5) The chairperson of the Library Council is a habilitated person elected by the Academic Council on a proposal of the Rector for a term of four years. The chair manages and represents the Library Council, convenes and conducts its meetings.
(6) The mandate of the Chairperson or a member of the Library Council may be terminated prematurely by the order of his election on the grounds for early termination of the mandate of a member of the Academic Council under Art. 19, paragraph. 2 of the Rules of the Sofia University.
Art. 8. The Director of the Sofia University Library:
(1) manages the overall activity of the library.
(2) is elected by competition, approved by the Academic Council and appointed by the Rector of Sofia University.
(3) In exercising his / her powers:
1. bears responsibility for the overall state of the University Library;
2. is responsible for spending the budget of the library;
3. implements the personnel policy of the library;
4. according to the Regulations of the Sofia University exercises control over the activities of the library and the work of the staff;
5. presents the Sofia University Library and protects its interests in front of the Bulgarian and foreign institutions;
6. resolves all issues concerning the management of the Sofia University Library outside the exclusive competence of the Academic Council and the Library Council;
7.presents the annual report on the activity of the Sofia University Library to the Academic Council;
8. jointly with the scientific group plans the publishing activities of the library and presents it for discussion by the LC.
Art. 9. (1) In his / her work the Director is assisted by a Deputy Director of library activities;
(2) the Deputy Director is appointed by the Rector at the proposal of the Director of the Library;
(3) in the exercise of his / her powers, the Deputy Director:
1. replaces the Director and, in his / her absence, perform the tasks assigned to him / her;
2. coordinates, controls and reports the production activity in the library network;
3. manages the methodical activity of the branch libraries of the University Library network;
4. develops concepts, methodological materials, normative and other documents related to the activities of the University Library.
Art. 10. (1) The Director and the Deputy Director of the Sofia University Library are assisted by the following consultative bodies:
1. Directors Council (DC).
2. Specialized councils on different activities at the Sofia University Library.
(2) The composition, the management, the scope of activity and the term of the Directors Council and of the specialized councils is determined by an order of the Director of the Sofia University Library.
Art. 11. (1) According to the needs, the management of the library creates or close specialized councils on various activities.
(2) In order to solve specific problems with an order of the Director, are established temporary committees.
Art. 12. (1) The scientific group conducts scientific and applied research in the field of librarianship, bibliology, bibliography and scientific information and is a consultative body for the coordination and management of the library’s activity;
(2) the group includes the habilitated persons and the doctors working at the Sofia University Library.
(3) the rules for the activity and organization of the scientific group is approved by the Director of the University Library. The scientific group plans and reports its activities to the LC.
IV. ORGANIZATION AND STRUCTURE
Art. 13. Sofia University Library is a unified library and information complex consisting of a Central Library and branch libraries at faculties, departments and specialties.
Art. 14. The activity and organization of the work of the Central Library and the branch libraries is governed by instructions and rules, approved by the Director.
Art. 15 (1) There are Directions and Departments, leaded by Head of Direction and Hear of Department, into the Central Library:
(2) Direction Acquisition and Cataloguing consists of the following departments: Acquisition of Library Resources; Acquisition of Serial Resources and Databases; Cataloguing;
(3) Direction Library and Information Services and Collections Department consists of the following departments: Organization and Preservation of the Collections; Library and Information Services; Rare and Valuable Editions; Digitalization;
(4) Direction Library and Information Technologies and Networks;
(5) Department Coordination and Public Relations.
Art. 16. Direction Acquisition and Cataloguing:
(1) selects and completes library resources in Bulgarian and foreign languages for the Central Library and the branch libraries through purchase, donation, deposit and exchange of books;
(2) performs international book exchange and exchange with Bulgarian organizations with scientific publications of the Sofia University;
(3) performs secondary selection and deductions in the order established by the normative documents related to the organization and management of the collections;
(4) retrospectively acquires library resources;
(5) registers and technically processes library resources;
(6) preserves and reflects the movement of the library collections in inventory books;
(7) draws up the acts for the inclusion of the library resources acquired without supporting documents;
(8) prepares annual statistics on newly recruited library resources;
(9) creates bibliographic records of library resources in the integrated library and information system;
(10) performs analytical and semantic processing – creation, introduction and editing of classification indexes on UDC and subject headings in bibliographic records;
(11) creates and corrects authority records in the authority names file and in the subject authority records in the integrated library and information system;
(12) performs quality control of bibliographic records and, if necessary, corrects them;
(13) acquires serial resources and databases through purchase, gift, deposit and exchange;
(14) prepares lists of subscriptions of serial resources and databases;
(15) is currently registering newly recovered resources;
(16) prepares and sends complaints about non-received serial resources.
Art. 17. Department Library and Information Services and Collection:
(1) organizes and maintains library collections in the Central Library and the depositories, responsible for the storage and use of collections of old printed, rare and valuable publications;
(2) does centralized registration of readers;
(3) is responsible for servicing in the reading rooms of the Central Library by providing library resources from the central repository and the depositories;
(4) provides specialized services for students with special educational needs;
(5) executes received online requests for library resources;
(6) delivers and sends through the interlibrary loan system the necessary library resources and offers the specialized service – document delivery service;
(7) provides the bibliographic and information services to the professors, PhD students, students and trainees of the Sofia University;
(8) does subject and scientometric references;
(9) provides advice on the use of proprietary and specialized electronic databases;
(10) produces bibliographic directories;
(11) creates and maintains digital collections, including those intended for students with special educational needs.
Art. 18. Department Library and Information Services and Networks (LISN):
(1) is responsible for the main and ongoing maintenance of the Integrated Library and Information System (ILIS);
(2) performs the necessary settings of the Integrated Library and Information System (ILIS);
(3) ensures the security, stability and continuous operation of the system and the presentation of the electronic catalogue of the library on the Internet;
(4) regularly move to an up-to-date version of ILIS;
(5) maintains the Internet and intranet network;
(6) installs and maintains servers of the Sofia University Library;
(7) is responsible for the functional support of the library site.
Art. 19. Department Coordination and Public Relations:
(1) works closely and coordinates its activities with the Department of Information and Public Relations and the Department of International Relations of the Sofia University, contacts media and provides information about the developments and events in the University Library;
(2) maintains contacts with institutions and organizations, partners of the University Library;
(3) organizes the preparation and holding of various events (exhibitions, presentations of books, conferences, etc.) at the University Library, including international participation;
(4) prepares promotional materials and issues an electronic newsletter;
(5) updates the information on Library’s website and maintains the University Library’s social networking profiles;
(6) coordinates the international library cooperation activities of the University Library;
(7) prepares project proposals for European and other programs relevant to the library’s activities;
(8) translates documents for the needs of the Sofia University Library.
Art. 20. Branch libraries (BL).
(1) for the activities of the branch library is responsible head of a library, which, if necessary, coordinates its activities with the Dean’s Chiefs and faculty library councils;
(2) the following activities are carried out in the branch libraries:
1. acquiring of library resources on the BL profile;
2. organization and maintenance of the library collections;
3. do secondary registration of readers;
4. serving readers;
5. organization of facilities – premises, furnishing, supply of the necessary equipment and maintenance of the branch libraries is ensured by the Deans.
Art. 21. The activity of the University Library “St. Kliment Ohridski” is financed by:
(1) The budget of the University “St. Kliment Ohridski” in accordance with the Rules for Management and Allocation of the Budget;
(2) Project funds;
(3) Funds received from academic and other foundations, as well as from international organizations working in the field of library and information activities;
(4) Donations and other sources.
Art. 22. (1) The University Library may also acquire funds from:
1. registration of readers;
2. done library and information services according to a price list approved by order of the Rector.
Art. 23. Sofia University Library may be specifically funded by state and non-state funds.
VI. TRANSITIONAL AND FINAL PROVISIONS
§ 1. Based on these Rules are developed Library Rules of Service. Rules and Regulations of the Organization and the Activity of Sofia University Library“St. Kliment Ohridski” is adopted by the Academic Council on 31 May 2017 and repeals the Rules of the Library adopted at the Academic Council meeting on 13 July 2005, protocol No 12.